If you wish to fix the ‘Microsoft Windows search indexer high CPU usage’ issue on your Windows 10 computer, then you have arrived on the right webpage. Our experts will show how you can troubleshoot this problem on your device with some practical tips.
So without wasting any more time, let’s get rid of this Windows error.
What is Search Indexer High CPU Usage?
Microsoft has provided a Windows search feature on its Windows 10 operating system so that users can easily search and find the desired files. The search indexer is a process on Windows Task Manager in the Processes section, and it is written as ‘searchindexer.exe.’ You will find this service inside the Task Manager, in the Processes section.
Some users have noted that this process is consuming tons of system resources like RAM and CPU usage, making their computer slow and sluggish. Therefore, they want to fix the Windows search indexer high usage issue.
If you are also dealing with the same problem, then let us help you via this article. Please read further to fix it.
Fixing Windows Search Indexer High CPU Usage
1. Via a Third-Party Utility
In this method, we are going to use a third-party software known as Restoro. This tool is capable of troubleshooting various computer errors, including high system resource usage errors. So this tool is really effective in this problem. Many customers have successfully troubleshot this problem using Restoro. First of all, all you have to do is download and install this utility from the internet. After that, you should run it, and it will automatically check all ongoing errors on your computer. Restoro will automatically fix the Windows Search Indexer High CPU Usage. In case it doesn’t solve your issue, check our next tip.
2. Reboot the Search Indexer Service
If we try to reboot the service, it might not consume your computer resources like it is doing now. All you have to do is simply follow the instructions given by us below:
- First of all, hit the start + R keys on your computer keyboard.
- Then you will see the Run dialogue box appearing on your computer.
- Put in ‘services.msc’ into the textbox and then hit the Enter button on your keyboard.
- A new window will appear on your computer.
- In the Services window, find the Windows Search service.
- Double click it, and when it appears, click the Stop button.
- In the Startup type, please select the Disabled option.
- Click the Apply button from the bottom and then hit the Ok button as well.
- Restart your computer, and then press the Windows + R keys again on your computer.
- Type services.msc in the text field and then hit the enter button.
- Find the windows search service.
- From the Startup Type, select the Automatic option.
- Now click on the Start button.
- Click apply and ok to finish the process.
- See if the windows search service is working optimally or not.
3. Decrease Indexed Data Amount
Please follow the instructions given here to decrease the amount of indexed data:
- Open the start menu and then search for Indexing Options.
- Now click on Indexing Options.
- Go to Modify option
- Select the C drive.
- Now please uncheck some given folders.
- Click on the ok button and then close the window.
- Now the search indexer process will not consume much CPU resources on your computer.
We hope the article is informative and helpful in fixing the Microsoft Windows search indexer high CPU usage.